Roles and Responsibilities
The job will require end to end handling of legal matters of NPCI group and provide legal guidance related to formulation and implementation of group’s business, strategies and policies.
- Assisting and working closely with the business, product and other functions in structuring transactions and documentation from a legal and compliance perspective
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating agreements and other documents that are complex, high-risk and strategic in nature, with domestic and foreign entities and involve standardization of agreements including product, services and technology agreements
- Advising management and functional teams on legal and regulatory issues that may arise in the course of their day to day functioning. Working closely with the business teams on structuring of products, services and other business arrangements while helping them identify the legal risks and further add value by identifying commercial and operational risks
- Instructing and working closely with external counsels on commercial and policy matters, seeking and reviewing legal opinions from external counsels and supervising the legal due diligence sought from external counsels
- Litigation management including preparing counter affidavits, written statements and submissions including replies to legal notices
- Participate in the board meetings, preparation of board level committee papers and update the board with respect to matters pertaining to the legal function and respond to queries raised by the board to the legal department
- Manage the Intellectual Property (IP) portfolio for the group's IP namely trademarks, copyrights and patent portfolio. Support the business and marketing teams in getting IP registrations, maintenance and protection of group’s IP and preparation, defending & prosecution related thereto
- Establishing and maintaining the global and local legal compliances
- Lending support to the product / compliance function in compliance related matters by interpreting regulatory guidelines in areas of compliance risk management and compliance policies, procedures, controls, monitoring and audits
- Providing legal analysis in relation to new business initiatives and products. Advising internal stakeholders on governing law and dispute resolution mechanisms to be opted for agreements with foreign entities and issues related thereto
- Participating in product and industry working group calls and meetings wherever legal representation is required
- Assisting in review and creation of legal documents, policies, procedures and systems
- Participating actively in product and risk department initiatives including regulatory review and other projects where legal team’s participation is required
- Mitigating legal risks, implementing the internal legal risk compliance framework and to ensure that the NPCI complies with local and international payments legislation and regulation
- Identifying legal issues and risks that may affect NPCI business and ensuring that Management team is properly advised concerning those issues
- Providing legal guidance relating to the formulation and implementation of NPCI strategies and policies
- Keep abreast with, review and update internal stakeholders with the recent changes in laws and regulations as may be applicable to the payment and settlement industry
- Implementing legal documentation management system
Desired Candidate Profile
Good legal technical skills in drafting, reviewing documentation and carrying out research.
Knowledge in local and international legislative initiatives like Data Protection, Sanctions, FATF, and AML.
Knowledge in payment regulations (MC/Visa/AmEx) and general knowledge on PCI-DSS
Highlighting, articulating and explaining key legal issues to stakeholders as well as understanding stakeholder requirements
Capability to manage matters independently without regular involvement of the supervisor and good articulation and communication skills
UG:LLB in Any Specialization
National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), an umbrella organisation for operating retail payments and settlement systems in India, is an initiative of Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and Indian Banks’ Association (IBA) under the provisions of the Payment and Settlement Systems Act, 2007, for creating a robust Payment & Settlement Infrastructure in India.
The Company is focused on bringing innovations in the retail payment systems through the use of technology for achieving greater efficiency in operations and widening the reach of payment systems.
NPCI, has products like RuPay- debit, credit and prepaid cards, UPI(Unified Payments Interface), BHIM(Bharat Interface Money), AEPS(Aadhaar Enabled Payment Services), CTS(Cheque Truncation System), IMPS(Immediate Payment Services), NFS(National Financial Switch), NACH(National Automated Clearing House),NETC , Bharat Bill Pay, *99#.For more detailed information on the Vision, Mission, Objectives and Products & Services. You can log on to https://www.npci.org.in/